Wednesday, October 6, 2010

First Post

Here goes my try at being a blogger. Two friends and I met for dinner. Here is what we drank:



1999 Kistler Chardonnay Durell Vineyard – Wow this is a big rich Chardonnay that has aged nicely showing a good amount of oxidation. The nose is full of rich toffee, which follows through to the palate. Anything that might have resembled buttered popcorn has mellowed into caramel toffee and crème brulee. Good acidity still exists making the wine lively. Celler note: I would be drinking now, better a year too early than a year too late.






1999 Dominique Laurent Grands Exhezeaux – Drinking Burgundy is like playing golf. There are frustrating wines that are overpriced and underperform, but then you come across a wine that makes you forget the bad shots and keeps you coming back. This Pinot was bursting with bing cherries mellowing to a backbone of lingering leather notes. The finish was long lasting and the wine seemed youthful for its age. Paired beautifully with a Maryland Style Lump Crab Cake accompanied by a basil vinaigrette, tomato-olive relish. Cellar note: Still in great shape could last another decade.



1986 Talbot – Generous plum and cassis scents and flavors flow from this blend. The finish lasts featuring anisette and heather. Think comfy chair and slippers. Cellar note: Still youthful, drink now or let it mature for 15 years.





1989 Domaine du Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf du Pape – I must admit I am fan of Vieux Telegraphe, but had not tasted this far back. The style is much more restrained with very soft tannins compared with the brutes of latter vintages. Silky flavors of blackberries with a well tanned glove leather finish. Cellar note: A wine in its prime which should last for another 10 to 15 years.

7 comments:

  1. Cheers you are my personal wine advisor. Love your store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harkening back to a simpler time during our college days, when Ken and I would take your wine bottles (who drinks wine at a fraternity anyway?) and recklessly guzzle them, spilling the contents down the front of us like we were running with the bulls at Pamplona, I had a notion that someday you would have your own wine blog. That's probably not true, because if I had such projective powers, I would have clearly foreseen the internet and would be typing this from my Gulfstream 550 as it taxied on the runway of my private island. Being an absolute Philistine when it comes to wine, I look forward to some engaging discussions. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you get home? When can we go to dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the blog! Are you leaving price ranges off on purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharen - The wines in this post were older vintages which would not be readily available in a retail store, so I did not include prices. If I post current releases I will include prices. Thanks, Mike

    ReplyDelete